FIRE DAMAGES ONE ENTRY OF LOWELL HOUSE

Cigarette or Short-Circuit Causes $1500 Property Loss

Blazing fire that caused irreparable property damage broke out last night around 9 o'clock in Lowell C-24, a single suite occupied by George F. Thomas, 2nd '44, of Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Discovered at approximately ten minutes after nine by Billie Greney, night watchman of Lowell House the conflagration was extinguished by 9:25 o'clock. The cause is as yet undetermined, but evidence points to either a lighted cigarette butt, or, possibly to a short circuit. If it was the latter, the fire started at exactly ten of nine, since that was when Thomas's electric clock stopped.

Several Alarms Turned In

Several alarms were turned in, some from as far away as DeWelfe Street; and three engine companies, a ladder truck, a rescue company, and a deputy chief were summoned from the Cambridge fire-house at Kirkland and Cambridge Streets.

According to Deputy Chief Caldwell of Cambridge's Central Fire Department, the conflagration was a "very serious, single alarm fire." Damage was estimated last night at $1500, $300 of which was confined to Thomas's bedroom, the rest being apportioned to damage resulting from smoke seeping into adjacent rooms and hallways.

Fire Extremely Intense

The fire ruined most of Thomas's bedroom furniture, including bedclothes, curtains, and all articles within his dressing bureau's drawers, immediately after the fir engines arrived, firemen, supplied with gas masks, climbed up to the room and threw down into the street smoldering desk objects, books, and sofas.