LOWELL PRESENTS OPERA TONIGHT

Composer Directs Rehearsal Of Latest House Production

"Solomon and Balkis", the one-act opera version of Rudyard Kipling's "Just So" story "The Butterfly That Stamped", goes on the Lowell House boards tonight for its first stage premiere.

The student cast and management present the latest of the Lowell House Musical Society's annual productions tonight and again tomorrow evening at 9 o'clock. It was composed by Randall Thompson '20, director of the Division of Music at the University of Virginia, on commission from the League of Composers and CBS.

Composer Directs Rehearsal

Last night, the composer and the musical director, Malcolm H. Holmes '28, conductor of the Harvard, Radcliffe, and Welleslay orchestras, supervised the gaudy dress rehearsal. Most startling feature of the preliminary trial was the precision work by the four Gentt, Frederick A. Jacobi '43, John D. Clarke '43, Cary S. Giles '43, and John F. Bouner '43.

The fantastic scenery designed by John A. Helabird '42 went through a quick change of face when the stage crew made Solomon's palace disappear in three seconds without closing the curtains.

Managed by Richard F Gifford '43, the opera's cast includes M. Willoughby Todd and Marjorie Rice of Radcliffe, Robert Soule of the Medical School, and Philip Stolar of the New England Conservatory in the leading roles. The pierian Sodality and the Radcliffe Choral Society Provide the body of the music.