ROWING SEASON STARTS FOR BUSY HOUSE CREWS

Samborski Says Men Do Work Seriously

With a greater number of participants than ever before, House Crew really swings into action this week preparing for the first races barely two weeks off. Fourteen to 16 boats are leaving the floats of Weld Boathouse every day.

Each of the Houses has two shells, and Dudley one, but since some of the Houses have enough men for three or more boats, some doubling up has to take place. The most acute shortage is neither of men or boats, but of coaches. Usually graduate and undergraduate students have done the job, but the war has diverted many of these men to the Army or defense work. Sufficient men, however, have been obtained for this season.

House Crew Taken Seriously

The common belief that House Crew is not a serious sport is greatly mistaken, according to Adolph W. Samborski, director of Intramural Athletics. All men must have had previous experience, he said, and in the past several House crew men have moved up to the Varsity. Their reputation suffered somewhat last year when one of the boats was run ashore, splitting it from bow to stern.

Races will start April 28 for all "A" crews, two heats over a mile course. April 30, the first and second boats of the previous day's heats will race. May 14 all "A" boats will race over the Henley course, one and five-sixteenths miles. The first and second boats of that day's heats will row in the final on May 21 for the House Championship.