ALUMNI ASSOCIATION ELECTS AMBASSADOR GREW PRESIDENT

Emissary to Japan Held in Tokio Since War's Outbreak

In an election unprecedented in recent Harvard alumni history, Joseph C. Grew '02, former United States Ambassador to Japan, was chosen president of the Harvard Alumni Association for the coming year. Grew, now interned in Japan, will take up the post following his release or exchange for a Japanese diplomat.

A career diplomat, the newly elected president had occupied the ticklish Nipponese post since his appointment by President Hoover in 1932. But this assignment was only the climax of a career marked by the handling of unmerous delicate situations, including management of the Berlin Embassy in 1917, and the negotiation of the American-Turko Treaty of 1928.

In Tokio Till War

In Japan Grew was instrumental in smoothing the many difficulties that arose between Washington and Tokio, and helped prevent the rupture of relations until 1941. A polished figure of the formal and dignified type, he was accustomed to turning his one deat ear to the threats of the Japanese.

The interned Ambassador succeeds Charles Warren '89, whose form expires in June of this year. Among the other officers chosen are George T. Moore '95, director of the Missouri Botanical Garden, Dr. Reginald Fitz '06, assistant dean of the Harvard Medical School, William M. Rand '09, vice-president of the Monsanto Chemical Co., all vice-presidents. Henry C. Clark '11, of Prides Crossing, was re-elected secretary, and G. Storer Baldwin '21, of Chestunt Hill, was reelected treasurer.

Among the past presidents of the Alumni Association have been John Quincy Adams, Edward Everett. Oliver Wendell Rolmes, James Russell Lowell, Phillips Brooks, Charles W. Eliot. Theodore Roosevelt, and Governor Saltonstall.