Reischauer Calls Bombing of Japan Indecisive Because of Enemy Morale

Declares Air Raid Shelters In Jap Cities Inadequate

Wild reports in the headlines of the nation's presses about the air raids on Japanese cities creating panic among the Mikado's citizens are unfounded, according to Edwin O. Reischauer, Instructor in the Far Eastern Languages, of the Yenching Institute, who was born in Tokio, and has spent most of his life in the Far East.

Stressing the improvements affected since the great earthquake of 1923, Reischauer asserted that in their large cities the Nipponese have instituted systems of fire-breaks consisting of parks, wide avenues, moats, rivers, canals, which would impede the progress of a fire such as the one accompanying the earthquake of 1923, which wiped out the greater part of Tokio.

He specifically cited the imperial Palace, in the center of the capital, as a fire-break which is potentially as effective as Central Park would be in cutting off a wide spread fire, if New York City were to be bombed.

Japs Not Panicky

Reischauer also stated that, Boston papers to the contrary, the Japanese are no more likely to become panicky under fire than the Londoners or the people of Berlin. He admitted that the inherent tendency of the Japanese to suppress their emotions might result in a violent outburst of jitters, but stated that, the Japs have proved their courage in the harrowing experiences of the 1923 earthquake, which Reischauer classed as "worse than any air raid."

Continuing on the subject of the peoples' reacton to air raids, he stated that although the populace would maintain its compusure, nevertheless it will probably become exceedingly depressed by the raids. This is the first time since the thirteenth century Mongol invasion that a foreign power has touched the population directly.

Dr. Reischauer stressed the fact that the people have been exceptionally well prepared for this eventuality, as regards physical protection through training for air raids. They are also set psychologically, since the imminency and danger of bombing have been stressed by the Jap leaders.

Well Prepared for Ralds

Reischauer recalls that as early as 1937, air raid drills were carried on in Tokio and Yokahama, and that the raid wardens of the capital city were especially severe in enforcing blackouts. "I do not know of any country that has prepared so meticulosuly for raids," he stated