Student Council, '43 Officers To Be Elected Earlier This Year

Juniors Name Graduation Officials in May; Vote for Governing Body Comes Next Week

In order to streamline itself to conform with the University's accelerated program, the Student Council last night announced that elections for class officers and for Council members will be held earlier beginning this year.

Sophomore and Junior elections to the student governing body will take place next Monday and Tuesday in accordance with this new system, while class officers for the 1943 Commencement will be chosen the third week in May of this year.

Nominations for the Sophomore and Junior elections will be announced in tomorrow's Crimson. Although the question of Freshman elections to the Council, to be held at the same time, was discussed, no definite plans were made.

Classes Decide on Commencement

According to Loren G. MacKinney '42, president of the Student Council, no hard and fast rules will be made deciding at which of the three Commencement festivities the officers will serve. "This is for the individual class to decide; the men may conceivably officiate at all three occasions," MacKinney said.

Usually the officers have been named in the spring of the Senior year, while the elections for Council members has come late in May. The new time-schedule has been proposed to allow the graduating class to vote while they are still intact, and to give the incoming council a chance to organize its activities before the summer term begins.

No Change in Council Make-up

There will be no change in the make-up of the Council, except that there will be no out-of-house representative, since all men must live in the University buildings next year. A commuter's representative will still be retained.

The new council which will take over soon after its election, will appoint the quota of members, and elect its officers immediately, to take office at once, as opposed to the former system under which the new Council was not officially in office until the following year.

Six Juniors and three Sophomores will be elected next week. After these men take office, they will appoint five more Juniors, and three Sophomores to fill out the Council.