CRIMSON NINE BATTLES HUSKIES TODAY

Berg Slated to Hurl In First Home Game

Crimson baseball fans will get their first peek at the Varsity in action this afternoon at 4 o'clock when the team meets Northeastern on Soldiers Field. It will be the first home start for the nine as its earlier scheduled meeting with B. U. was washed out two weeks ago.

The Huskies are strictly a power club parading a roster of heavy sluggers. Last May Northeastern, with seven players who will participate today, rallied in the ninth inning to rout Mort Waldstein, 4 to 3.

Warren Berg will make his first intercollegiate Varsity start on the mound for the home forces. Berg, a right handed Sophomore, specializes in control work. This season he took over the Navy contest in the sixth inning, giving up a single run in the last frame, and put on a good show in the informal session with B. U.

Same Lineup to Be Used

Coach Floyd Stahl expects to keep the same revised lineup which proved so successful against Columbia Monday. Gerard Callanan will stick behind the plate, Thayer Drake will remain at short until Jay Gleason snaps out of his hitting slump, and Mort Waldstein will start at left. Waldstein, however, will act as Berg's number one relief. Lou Clay or Bill Parsons will take over the fielding post in case he is needed to pitch.

Northeastern has played only one contest so far this spring, beating Rhode Island State, 14 to 8, last Saturday. In view of that record and the veteran lineup, Stahl fears the Huskies as one of the strongest aggregations the Varsity will have to face all year. Excepting only the hurling department, which is something of an unknown factor, today's opponents will muster a squad as imposing as Princeton's.

The Crimson, on the other hand, has been hitting steadily and the several temporarily-slumped batters are removed from the lineup. In League competition, of which today's game is not a part, the nine is hitting a solid .280 and has a firm grip on third place.