ARCH SCI SEEKS CREATIVE EFFORT

Not only does the Department of Architectural Sciences prepare one directly for the Graduate School of Design, but it also gives students of Fine Arts with a creative bent their only opportunity to express themselves, as the principal emphasis falls on understanding the meaning of design rather than on actual construction techniques. This comparatively young field has also the most radical set-up offered to undergraduates, several of the courses being exam-less.

With its limited enrollment, the field requires that one be a candidate for honors. Four full Arch.Sci. courses and four halfcourses, including one in engineering, must be taken, and the concentrator must be prepared with Math C, and Physics C, Chemistry A, or their equivalent. Distribution courses are also recommended with the intention of preventing over-concentration rather than the opposite.

Hershey Is Key Man

The focal point of the field centers in the able hands of "Sam" Hershey, who, in Arch.Sci. 2a and 2b, has the most difficult task of cultivating a sense of design and a feeling for form and space, using paper, scissors, pencil, paint, clay, plaster, wire, and innumerable other materials to achieve the goal. Dean Hudnut presents the history of architecture from Egyptian times to the present in a singularly unpedantic way in courses 1a and 1b.

Arch.Sci. 3 and Engin. Sci. 7b, architectural drafting and structural mechanics respectively, lead up to Arch.Sci. 10, taken by Seniors, which actually involves building design and may be taken as the equivalent of Architecture 2a in the Graduate School. Frost, in charge of 10, is excellent and extremely well-liked.

Under the accelerated program, the second half of Arch. Sci. 2a has merged into the first half of Arch. Sci. 10, while the second half of the latter has become part of the Graduate School.