GERMAN RE-EDUCATION NEEDED, SAYS MASARYK

Czech Calls America European Example

Jan Masaryk, foreign minister of the exiled Czechoslovak government told an audience of 400 people in Winthrop House Common Room last night that, "after we win the war," Germany must go through a quarantine period "while we discover who's who," and then be admitted to the new European Federation.

Although the minister admitted that he "doesn't know what it will look like," some kind of a union of the continent, led by this country "as the most virile democracy," is a necessity.

"We must re-educate the Germans," Masaryk said, "so that they will realize that Beethoven is better than the goose-step," after we have proven to ourselves and them that our way of life is the better. The Reich must be disarmed completely, and "MacArthur will live in Potsdam, with his wife, going for walks in the Tiergarten with his son."

"Americans are really beginning to realize that they are in the war, and it is a glorious sight," the minister said. "Your production is going very well indeed, and don't believe anyone who tells you differently, but until your morale is 50-50 with your production, everything is not perfect."

The foreign minister described the history of Europe after the first World War, particularly in relation to his own country. "We small nations were allowed to stand on our tip-toes, and watch the poker games. We believed in collective security, but did not feel safe. When Hitler appeared on the horizon, we had no illusions about him we have lived next to Germany for hundreds of years, and know that sometimes something happens there which makes the beautiful things disappear. The Prussian must march; he doesn't care where, whether in his own farm or on his neighbor's."

"When statesmen and politicians went on pilgrimages to the mountain top, I became mentally seasick. When they said 'there is good in everyone, and we will get the good out of him,' I felt even sicker. We read 'Mein Kampf' and saw that we were up against something that would set us back 10,000 years."

Warning those who are attacking the British for doing nothing, he said that "they were left with but one armed division after Dunkerque; that is, practically naked. Before they venture out again, they will have several overcoats. But something is in the air--like the spring."