Varsity Nine Slugs B.U. 15-7 In Game Marked by Homers

Fitzgibbons Leads Batters With 4 Hits

Slugging its way back to the 500 mark, the Varsity baseball team Saturday afternoon took the toll of Boston University, 15-7, at Riverside. Three homers and 18 hits were the Crimson's batting contribution to the offensive free-for-all.

Dick Harding, starting his first Varsity game, pitched satisfactory if at times erratic ball. After a shaky first inning Harding worked smoothly until he tired towards the final two stanzas. All told, he gave up 11 hits and six walks, but struck out five Terrier batters.

Fielding Sloppy

Fielding support tended to be sloppy, and the Crimson marked up four more errors to its growing list. In the clinches, however, the team tightened up adequately. That, combined with B. U.'s scattering their hits, accounts for the difference of 18 hits and 15 runs against 11 hits and 7 runs.

At the plate, the Varsity displayed some powerhouse play. Ned Fitzgibbons kept ahead of the flock with four hits for six times at bat and both Bill Barnes and Bart Harvey slammed the ball for round-trippers. Barnes homered in the fifth and again in the eighth, knocking in five runs.

Harvey's less-impressive, but equally-effective drive came in the sixth with one on. The second-sacker was finally taken out in the eighth with the ball game sewed up. It was the first time in a year and a half of intercollegiate ball that Harvey did not finish a game.

B. U. Slightly Improved

B. U.'s play was little better than what it showed in its practice meeting at Soldiers Field ten days ago. Howie Mitchell who started on the mound, showed a definite lack of experience and his relief man, Bob McKee, was even less able to control the Crimson batters.

The Terriers only collected two extra-base hits while the Crimson accumulated five. Harding held the home squad to a pair of tallies until the eighth, when things began to get away from him. After a single run in the eighth, the B. U. squad gathered its forces for a four run rally in the final frame. The Harvard summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Callanan, c  4  2  1  6  0  0 Quinn  1  0  1  2  0  0 Waldstein, lf  4  1  1  1  0  0 Scully  1  0  1  0  0  0 Harvey, 2b  5  2  2  3  1  0 Macmillan  1  0  0  3  2  2 Fitzgibbons, lb  6  3  4  8  0  0 Bukley, cf  4  3  1  3  0  1 Barnes, rf  5  2  2  0  1  0 Heath  0  0  0  0  0  0 Drake, ss  5  1  2  0  2  1 Whittemore, 3b  2  1  1  1  2  0 Parsons  1  0  0  0  0  0 Gleason  1  0  0  0  0  0 Harding, p  4  0  2  0  1  0 Totals:  44  15  18  27  9  4

Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard  1  0  2  2  3  4  0  3  0--15 B. U.  2  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  4--7