ARMY'S AIR CORPS DEFERRED SERVICE PROGRAM EXPLAINED

Veteran Maintains College Graduates Make Best Fliers

Only three weeks distant from the bitter air battles over Java, Air Corps Lieutenant Trenkle was one of four Air Officers to impress on 150 students in Emerson D last night the urgent need for a steady supply of officer material, especially for flying duty.

To give a preliminary examination to apply for the Army Air Corps new deferred service plan, enabling air cadets to finish college, doctors will be here May 8 and 9, it was announced by Colonel John J. Keough.

After Captain Brewer, a veteran flier of the last war, declared that college men have generally proved to be the best fliers, Lieutenant Henderson said that practically every applicant who passed the physical and mental examinations is found capable of completing the flight training which nets a commission.

But those 20 percent who do "wash out" still have a crack at bombadier or navigator training, both important combat duties, or at the ground jobs of meteorology, photography, communications, armament, or engineering, for which technical knowledge is more necessary than physical fitness.