Russia Will Hold Against Nazi Tide; Has Better Morale, Karpovich Says

Hitler Must Win This Year Or Face Hazardous Retreat

Hitler's new offensive in Southern Russia will meet with great resistance and the Russians will, in all probability, be able to hold out" Michael Karpovich, associate professor of History assorts.

The south "is the logical place for Hitler to attack because he needs the oil in the Caucasus, and because from there he will be able to threaten the British flank." His plans for an early attack were probably thwarted, Karpovich said, by climate conditions which do not differ so radically in the south from the north as most people think.

No Element of Surprise

The greatest advantage for the Soviet troops this spring is that the Germans no longer have on their side the element of surprise as they did last summer. The Russians, Karpovich pointed out, have spent a great deal of time in preparing for this long-heralded offensive.

On many fronts, moreover, Red troops still hold the initiative and a counter offensive in these places is still possible. Russian self-confidence and morale, he asserted, are far superior now to what they were a year ago, and Russian troops have valuable experience in Nazi tactics where in 1941 they had fought only the small Russo-Finish war.

Although no one knows much about Russia's trans-Ural industrial development, Karpovich feels confident that with the production of these factories, and the steady, though small, stream of supplies from the Allied Nations, the Red troops will be able to resist.

Hitler Must Win Or Retreat

This June and July will be the crucial months for the Russiaus, and thus for all the nations that depend on Russian success. If Russian resistance is firm Hitler may have to decide whether to retreat or immobilize the front, he said, and it was precisely to prevent such trench warfare that the Rusisaus waged offensive warfare last winter when they attacked all along the extended front, and constantly harried the German troops.

It is imperative Karpovich said, that a second front be opened to aid the Russians, whether it is, as Churchill has promised, an increased serial offensive, or an invasion of Europe.