BASKETBALL TEAM ENDS BRIEF PRACTICE SESSION

Little Accomplished In Two-Week Period

An abbreviated spring practice session came to a close yesterday for the Varsity basketball team with an informal, full-length scrimmage between Old Timers and Youngsters. The squad of Sophomores and Freshmen finally forged ahead after the veterans tired to down the five sparked by Ed Buckley 61-48.

For two weeks Earl Brown's hoopsters have been working out afternoons in the Indoor Athletic Building. Rainy days, when compulsory exercise groups take over the floor, and the military review cut into the brief period which was limited by Brown's football duties and the advanced exam schedule.

Practice Not Encouraging

On the whole Brown was dissatisfied with the practice period and expects to accomplish more during the summer either indoors or on a proposed outdoor court on Soldiers Field. During the last two weeks, the Freshmen have gained some knowledge of offense fundamentals, according to Brown, but have not had time to work on defensive techniques.

With Hugh Hyde playing tennis and Red Scully baseball, upperclass attendance was spotty. Among the potential Freshmen Don Richards, Mike Leo, and Dean Hennessey have all been occupied on other fronts.

Sophomore Captain Bunks Burditt, Don Lutze, and Hyde will be the only returning veterans. The entire line-up of Bud Finegan, Ed Rothschild, Bill Webber, Chick Lutz, and Buckley will not be back. Still the team in faced with the usual tough schedule next winter including a Western trip featuring games with Rochester, Bradley Tech, and Michigan State.