New Bicycles Reserved for Essential Civilians Only, Students Excluded

Unforeseen Demand Finds No Outlet in Used Machines

Harvard Square's disappointment center is the Bicycle Exchange, where more than 200 frantic customers were given the cold shoulder the day after gasoline rationing was announced, where 50 or 60 frustrated hopefuls are turned away daily, and where a waiting list of over 500 threatens to be completely ignored.

Statistics have it that the country's demand for two-wheeled transportation reaches the 30,000,000 mark, while the industry's production of a million and a half bikes last year far exceeds the present meager output.

Converted to War Production

For instance, more than half of the Schwinn plant, where American light-weights were first built in quantity, has been converted to the making of secret torpedo parts, and no bicycles have come off the production line since government freezing orders a month ago.

Right now, 16 new machines are stacked up in the exchange until Washington sends out the release notice expected any day now. When they are finally ready to sell, college students won't have a finger in the deal.

War workers only, who can prove by official applications, checks, and rechecks, and possibly other essential civilians whose transportation problems are acute, will be allowed to buy the bikes at about 130 percent of pre-war prices.

The only chance anyone who wants a bicycle for convenience or pleasure has, is to buy one second-hand. The Exchange is perpetually out of used stock, and individual owners about the Yard, priding themselves on their luck, put up a stiff price.

Spare Parts Obtainable

Repair business is becoming as spare parts are still available, with more machines of various vintages taking to the road. Although it is a little early in the season to be sure, the Exchange predicts an unprecedented number of rentals of the 125 bikes it keeps for that purpose.

Rubber companies ask to be excused for the limited tire production resulting from their unfamiliarity with new-low grade materials which is formed in relatively few molds used 24 hours a day.