$40,849 AWARDED TO FACULTY MEMBERS FOR RESEARCH WORK

Men Aided In Arts And Sciences Investigations

Awards totalling, $40,849 to forty members of the University faculty and teaching staff for the furtherance of thirty-six research projects in the arts and sciences, under provisions of funds established here by William F. Milton '58 and Joseph H. Clark '57, were announced today. The grants are made to faculty members to defray the expenses of special investigations.

Recommendations for the awards are made by a committee consisting of Frank B. Jewett, of New York City, president of the Bell Telephone Laboratories, chairman; Simon Flexner, of New York City, former director of the laboratories of the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research; and James Phinney Baxter, III, president of Williams College.

The awards are to:

Thomas Barbour, to continue explorations of the Miocene in Gilchrist County, Florida.

Paul D. Bartlett, for a study of the effect of resonance on the properties of trity compounds.

Charles F. Brooks, to prepare for publication a third volume entitled "Climate and Weather of Puerto Rice and the Virgin Islands," and to publish a monograph entitled "Filter Measurements of Solar Radiation at Blue Hill Observatory."

Eberhard F. F. Bruck, to prepare for publication a book entitled "After Life and the Will in Greek, Roman and Mediaeval Law."

J. N. Douglas Bush, to prepare for publication a volume on "History of English Literature from 1600 to 1660."

Henry J. Cadbury, to prepare an early history of Quakerism in Jamaica.

William J. Clench, for a study of large shell collections in anticipation of supplementing the present published data on mollusks.

Lemnel R. Cleveland, for a study of the structure and life-cycle of chromosomes.

I. Bernard Cohen and George Sarton, to investigate the practical value of fundamental research in science.

Elliott C. Cutler, to study the mechanism of ventricular fibrillation following coronary occlusion in normal and sclerotic arteries.

Knox H. Finley, for electro-physiological studies on the hypothalamus and cerebrum.

Sheldon Glueck, to assist an investigation of the causes and treatment of juvenile delinquency.

Mason Hammond, to prepare for publication a book on the Antonine Monarchy.

Robert S. Hillyer, for the recovery, after destruction by fire, of his essays, originally published in various periodicals.

Otto Krayer and H. Stanley Bennett, for a study of blood flow changes in animals under experimental conditions.

Kirtley F. Mather, for a study of the microflora of glacial and recent marine sediments.

Joo Vincent Meigs and Maurice Fremont-Smith, for a study of vaginal smears as an an aid to the prediction of the date of ovulation and the earlier diagnosis of cancer of the uterus.

Perry G. E. Miller, to continue the preparation for publication of "The New England Mind, Vol. II, 1660-1750."

O. Hobart Mowrer, to continue and expand a program of research on the psychology of fear.

Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, for a study of the physical nature of variable stars.

Chandler R. Post, for research in preparation for Volume IX of his "History of Spanish Painting."

Gordon N. Ray, to prepare for publication an authorized edition of "The Letters and Private Papers of William Makepeace Thackeray."

George A. Reisner, to aid in the preparation for publication of inscriptional material in the Giza Necropolis.

John Rock, for a continued study in women of ovulation, fertilization, tubal migration of ovum, cleavage and nidation.

Alfred S. Romer, for research in differentiation of limb musculature.

Reinhold Rudenberg, for an investigation of electric waves and oscillations in coils with air or steel core.

Joseph S. Sauget-Barbier, for a study and revision of plant material collected in Cuba.

Arthur M. Schlesinger, for an investigation of newspaper propaganda as a factor in the American Revolution.

Theodore Spencer, for a discussion of Shakespeare's plays in relation to the intellectual background of his time.

University Cyclotron Committee: Baldwin R. Curtis, John J. Livingood and Roger W. Hickman, for a monocyclic network for supplying constant current to the cyclotron radio frequency power supply.

Karl Vietor, for the preparation of a book on Goethe's philosophy.

Joshua Whatmough, for the completion and publication of a work on the dialects of ancient Gaul.

Thomas Whittemore, for a study of the mosaics, plaster and marbles in Aya Sofya in Istanbul.

John D. Wild, for a study of the relation between Plato and the Sophists.

George K. Zipf, for the preparation of the manuscript of a book on the principle of least action in individual and social behavior