More Than 1000 Books Donated in PBH Drive

Every variety of literary fare from Esquire to Aristotle was included in the large volume of books and magazines collected by the Library Committee of Phillips Brooks House in their collection drive for the benefit of the armed forces.

Tom Stanton, P.B.H. Social Service Committee member, who was in charge of the endeavor, expressed his gratitude to the undergraduate body for its "tremendous response." Asserting that the Committee had set its goal of 1000 books, which was surpassed, with only faint hope of its attainment. Stanton congratulated the College for its "very healthy and heartening spirit."

Eliot led all the Houses in the number of books contributed, with a total of over 400 volumes. Close behind was Lowell, with Winthrop taking third honors. The dominant types of reading matter contributed, Stanton reported, were pocket-books editions of best sellers and detective stories. "This was particularly gratifying," he said, because these were precisely the kind of books which can best be used by the men in the services."