NINE DOWNS YALE IN 14 FRAMES, 5-3

Game Lasts Over 3 Hours in New Haven

By Robert S. Landau

Two accs will always beat one and it took both Mort Waldstein and Warren Berg to outpitch and outlast Ted Harrison in the strength-sapping heat of New Haven Saturday, copping the first game of the traditional Commencement series with Yale by a 5 to 3 count in 14 innings.

Waldstein and Harrison each pitched seven-hit ball for the regulation distance, but starting in the 10th the effects began to tell on their hurling, and both bullpens opened shop. Floyd Stahl had Berg on hand to rush in when his powerful southpaw faltered in the 11th, but Smoky Joe Wood had no choice but to keep his starter in, since Nevell, his No. 2 mounds-man, had gone the route against Holy Cross on Wednesday.

The other eight men with Crimson uniforms played their best all-around game of the season, in keeping with the quality of the pitching. For the third time this year they made no errors, and at bat they hit Harrison harder than ever before, although only 12 balls dropped in safely. Red Scully couldn't buy a base hit, going 0 for 6, but it took sparkling play by the Blue outfield to rob him of four extra-base swats.

Second Place Is Now Definite

After seeing the winning run on third three times, the visitors caught on in the 14th inning with a two-tally uprising to salt away the decision and incidentally, undisputed possession of second place in the Eastern Intercollegiate League.

Gil Whittemore set the rally off to a weak but effective start when he got a life on the Eli third-string third-sacker's low throw to first. Cleo O'Donnell twice failed with sacrifice bunts, then punched his fourth single to short left. Both advanced on Berg's bunt, and Whittemore came home after Bart Harvey's long fly to left field. Bull Barnes followed with another outfield single to drive in O'Donnell, and that was the ball game.

Harvard's first score was fashioned almost single-handed by Brooks Heath, who beat out a bunt, stole second, and then scored on O'Donnell's safety. In the seventh the Crimson assumed a three-run lead on singles by Drake, O'Donnell, and Harvey, a pass to Waldstein, and an error by Harrison.

The box score:

HARVARD  ab  bh  po  aO'Donnell, ef  6  4  3  0Waldstein, p  3  0  2  1Berg, p  1  0  0  1Harvey, 2b  7  2  2  2Barnes, 1b  6  2  16  0Callanan, c  5  0  12  1Scully, lf  6  0  0  0Heath, rf  6  2  3  0Drake, ss  6  1  2  2Whittemore, 3b  6  1  2  3Totals  52  12  42  10YALE  ab  bh  po  aCarton, ss  6  2  5  5Harrison, p  6  1  0  2Whelan, 1b  6  2  11  0Goodspeed, rf  4  0  0  0Heath, 3b  3  0  0  2*Averback  1  0  0  0Patterson, c  2  2  1  0Witt, 2b  4  0  2  0Pope, cf  3  0  2  0Kreske, lf  2  0  6  0Walsh, lf  6  2  8  0White, c  2  0  6  1Kubie, 3b  2  0  1  1McTernan, 3b  2  0  0  0Totals  49  9  42  1