NINE LOSES SERIES TO ELI TEAM; FINISHES SECOND IN LEAGUE

Harvey Chosen Captain of Next Year's Aggregation

By losing to Yale 3 to 1, last Saturday afternoon in a ten inning pitchers duel, the Varsity baseball nine finished on the off-best one of the most satisfying diamond seasons in the past several years. Although its won and lost average was only 500 and second place in the Ivy League will not be set until after the last Yale-Princeton meeting the day after tomorrow, the squad played laudable ball and showed strong potentialities for next spring.

After the game, F. Barton Harvey, Jr. of Baltimore and 52 Mt' Anburn Street was chosen to captain the 1943 aggregation. Harvey has held down second base for two seasons and in addition is third marshal of his class and vice-president of the Varsity Club.

Games Lost in Ninth

The closeness of the Yale series reflected the nearness by which the nine approached success all year. Several crucial games, like the last, were thrown away in final inning breakdowns, as the squad exhibited the lack of experience of a group of lower classmen. Only Captain Lou Clay and third baseman Gil Whittemore, in fact, were starting Seniors.

Unless war service interferes this bodes well for next year. With this summer's series of games with Army and Navy teams under their belt, the greener Juniors and Sophomores ought to have less inclination to tense when the heat is on. A sprinkling of capable Freshmen may also be expected to move up into vacant posts.

Although all League figures must await the outcome of Yale's trip to Princeton Saturday for the final contest on EIBL schedule, it is definite that the Crimson will finish in second place. Whether or not it will have to share these runners-up honors with the Elis hinges on that game. Whatever the result it will be a substantial improvement over the Crimson's fifth of the 1941 race.

At bat the Varsity proved especially potent, finishing its year with a 260 team average in League competition and leading the League with 100 hits. Five of the starting nine hit better than '250, Cleo O'Donnell topping the list with a 375 average. Mort Waldstein followed with .367, Harvey with 326, and Clay and Need Fitzgibbons tied at .333. Gerry Callanan's 265 was the fifth.