ATHLETICS, ONCE FRESHMAN ORDEAL, NOW TAKEN BY ALL

Stress on Hardening Not on Recreation

"Athletics for all" has taken the place of the "no athletics" decree of the first World War, and it bids fair to becoming a permanent part of a Harvard education.

When the last war hit the University, all intercollegiate contests were cancelled and the only required exercise was the marching and rifle drill that was part of the military training courses held on Soldiers Field.

In the intervening time, however, the University has taken an about-face in regard to the athletic situation. Although no inter-collegiate contests are being planned this summer, as many as possible will be held on schedule during the regular college term beginning in September.

Purpose is to Toughen

The present policy is to "toughen" each student either through a sport or through a conditioning class so that he will be better fitted physically for the armed services when his turn comes.

Harvard, under the direction of William J. Bingham '16 as Director of Athletics, has been among the first of the colleges in the country to adopt a compulsory physical training program in the present. And since its adoption here, most of the other colleges and universities have followed suit.

Each Freshman as well as each upperclassman is required to get four athletic credits a week throughout the whole year. In past years, Freshmen were required to get three credits, while upper classmen were exempt.

Some sports such as baseball, crew, ad football will give you the full four credits, while such sports as tennis, squash, and bicycling can only be counted as two credits. For instance, if you are on a regular eight-oared crew rowing for a House or for the College, you get four credits a week, while you get only two credits for single scull rowing.