JOHN RICHARDSON, JR. MADE SECRETARY FOR CLASS OF '43

Seven Elected to Class Day Committee; Permanent Class Committee of Six Named

John Richardson, Jr., of Winthrop House and Milton, far outstripped his nearest competitor to become Secretary for the Class of 1943, final tabulation of the voting of the past two days disclosed early this morning. At the same time, seven Juniors were elected to the Class Day Committee, and to the Permanent Class Committee.

Richardson, who polled 96 votes, was raised recently to the office of Treasurer for the Student Council. By living near Boston he not only fulfills one of the requirements for the Class Secretary, but will be also more able to carry out his duties, which include keeping in touch with his classmates for subsequent Class Albums and reunions.

Runners-up in the Secretary race were Paul Sheeline with 67 votes; David Place, 61; Donald MacKinnon, 51; John Cochrane, 35; and Bradford Haseltine, 32.

Class Day Committee

Traditionally in charge of Class Day activities, the seven men elected yesterday may have an empty job with parts of their class graduating at different times.

Donald Forte, of Adams House and Waban, led with 270 voting for him. Darcy Curwen, of Winthrop House and Exeter, S. H., was next with 245; then David Goldwait, of Winthrop and Medfield, 211; John Morgan, of Kirkland House and Covina, Calif. 175.

After Morgan came Walter Kamp, of Lowell and Milwaukee, Wis., 158; Richard Gifford, of Lowell House and New York City, and Julian Richardson, of Adams House and Charles River.

Permanent Class Committee

For organizing the regular reunions, building up to the twenty-fifth, when "grads first realize how old they really are," a Permanent Class Committee of six has been chosen to act as a central core.

Donald McNicol, of Adams House and Flushing, N. Y., led the election with the wide margin of 206 over 157. The latter was the total amassed by both William Rand and John Sullivan. Both live in Adams, while Rand hails from Lincoln, and Sullivan from Caribon, Me.

The other three in order were John Bullard, of Eliot House and South Dartmouth, 155 votes; Dana Reed, of Adams House and Belmont, 144; and Chester Jenks, of Eliot and Manchester, N. H., 131.

In normal times, these elections would have been held during the end of February and the beginning of March next year, as provided in the Student Council by-laws. But due to war pressure and the fact that many Juniors will be graduating at the end of this summer, it was necessary to move the schedule nine months ahead so that the whole Class of '43 may be represented in the elections.