Mountaineers Back From Two-Week Safari in British Columbia Ranges

Climbers Tested Food and Alpine Equipment for Army

Tanned and wind-burned by the wintry storms of the British Columbia Mountain ranges, eight members of the Harvard Mountaineering Club have returned from a two week expedition into the heights of the Selkirk Mountains.

The safari had as its objective the testing of special food provided by the Fatigue Lab for the Army Quartermaster Corps, and sleeping bags, air mattresses, and tents for the Alpine division of the Army. Although bad weather and poor climbing conditions harried the expedition, the Army equipment met the rigid test.

Mt. Abbot Ascended

After conditioning themselves by ascending 8100 foot Mt. Abbot which was shrouded in frequent storms, the expedition divided and tackled Eagle Peak, a 9360 foot pinnacle, from either side. Although both parties were driven back by storms when within sight of the summit, valuable experience in climbing was gained which was helpful in later ascents.

After a day's preparation the group began a trek across the Illecillewaet Neve and four members reached the Neve where they were joined the next evening by two more of the party. Running into extremely bad weather here which proved too much for their primus stoves, the entire party was driven to the shelter of their tents.

Two Saved From Death

From the high camp on the Neve the party slid and dropped down the treacherous 3000 foot descent to Glacier Circle. On arriving at the foot of the Glacier they spotted the remaining two members of the party, marked by their flashlights, heading straight for the two hundred foot drop straight off the glacier.

Armed with powerful flashlights Andy Kaufmann and Bill Putnam went back up the Glacier and with their lights were able to lead the wayward members of the party back to the base camp before they tumbled into a ravine.