Crimson Turns Back Strong Devens Nine; Hoftyzer Victor 5-3 At Soldiers Field

Fitzgibbons Starts Third Inning Rally

By J. ROBERT Moskin

Opening its summer service season, the Varsity ball team took firm measure of the Lovell Hospital of Fort Devens nine Wednesday afternoon winning 5 to 3. Bill Hoftyzer, starting his first game for the Crimson, began shakily but steadied down to limit the opposition to six hits.

In revenging its defeat of last Saturday and pulling its summer average up to the .500 mark, the Varsity displayed a new finesse and power which had been lacking until this week. The five errors they collected in the field, however, still hinted at their lack of sufficient practice.

Batting Honors Shared

Ned Fitzgibbons and Hoss Hamlen took the home team batting honors. The lanky first baseman came back with some of the sparkle he had not shown since the spring trip south, totaling three singles, two stolen bases, and handling 11 chances with a lone dubious error. Hamlen, in his first Varsity game behind the plate, poled two hits to center in his four stands at bat.

On the mound Hoftyzer worked himself in and out of a series of awkward positions. He pitched four straight balls to the first batter to face him, and gave the next a single through third. A double play from Gallagher to Fitzgibbons quieted activities in the bullpen and saved the inning.

In the third another twin killing with Captain Bart Harvey acting as the fastmoving pivot staved off a Devens' rally when the Army players filled the bases with none out. In the second frame, the visitors opened the scoring with two runs on three Crimson errors and an infield hit by Charlie Cuneo, former Holy Cross shortstop.

The Crimson tied it up in their half of the second when Thayer Drake singled and advanced to second on an error. Hoss Hamlen singled to center, scoring Drake, and was sent to second when Hoftyzer was forced. Vin Leahy's single moved him to third and Brooks Heath's fielder's choice sent him home.

Fitzgibbons started the Varsity off on the right foot in the third with a single to center, advancing when Bill Barnes was forced. Jim Gallagher walked and Fitzgibbons stole third. Drake took first on a fielder's error with Fitzgibbons scoring on the play and Gallagher moving to second. Hamlen's fielder's choice moved him around, and he slid in for the run. In the fifth Gallagher's walk, Drake's sacrifice bunt, and Hamlen's single brought in another tally.

The contest was little more than a filler for the highly esteemed Lovell squad, which had 19 wins and four losses this year. Lefty Davis, former Eastern League hurler, went the distance for the losers, scattering eight hits except for the second inning when he gave a trio of safeties. Red Sox farmhand Walsh, who was slated to pitch, was saved for an Army league game yesterday and only appeared as a successful pinch hitter in the ninth.

Tomorrow the Varsity meets a team from the Coast Guard Receiving Station at 3 o'clock on Soldiers Field and has a three game schedule planned for next week. Warren Berg or Joe Phelan is slated to pitch against the Coast Guard nine.

The Harvard summary: ab  r  h  po  a  e Leahy, lf  5  0  1  0  0  0 Heath, cf  5  0  0  2  0  0 Harvey, 2b  4  0  0  4  3  0 Fitzgibbons, 1b  4  1  3  10  0  1 Barnes, rf  4  0  1  1  0  1 Gallagher, 3b  1  2  0  3  2  1 Drake, ss  3  1  1  3  2  0 Hamlen, c  4  1  2  4  0  1 Hoftyzer, p  4  0  0  0  3  1   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals  34  5  8  27  10  5

Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Ft. Devens  0  2  0  1  0  0  0  0  0--3 Harvard  0  2  2  0  1  0  0  0  x--5