Lights Out

Tonight, or, strictly speaking, in the wee hours of the morning, the siren on top of Widener will let loose with its unearthly moan, street lights all over Cambridge will go out, and Harvard's fourth test blackout will be under way. Defense plants will adjust their blackout shades, all night bean-cries will be darkened, and those solitary night-owls who are still up and about will have to snuff out their midnight oil.

Harvard students should have little difficulty observing the blackout. The great majority will be asleep, but if the siren wakes them, they must remember not to turn on a light to see what it's all about, and, more important, to leave no lights burning when they go to bed. Those who keep late hours must be warned again that only if a room is equipped with approved blackout shades may any light be left on. Ordinary shades are not sufficient. And no matter how beautiful the night, they must keep indoors during the test. Anyone not on official ARP business is likely to be arrested if he is found out-of-doors.

A test blackout, as those who have been here before know, is a serious business. It is called by the Army, to test our defenses against bombing raids. Harvard's record in former tests has been excellent. New students can help make this one a success, too, by remembering to turn out all lights before going to bed, keep calm when the sirens sound, keep all lights off unless they have blackout blinds, and not to go out-of-doors.