Crimson Slips in Last Two Frames, Bows to Army 7-6

Berg Hurls Against Brown Squad Today

Joe Pheian had a shutout in the bag for five and a half innings at Camp Edwards yesterday, but before the seven frame contest was over the soldiers sneaked up and cinched the ball game, 7 to 6.

The Crimson did some mighty pounding at the plate but a sloppy Brooklyn-Dodger finale left all their efforts for naught. Phelan pitched respectable ball until the sixth and then gave up no more than four hits. Irv Rudman was called in to collect the last out.

Varsity Scores Three

Left-handed Palumbo, formerly of Indianapolis, sent the Army off to a flying start by striking out the first three Crimson batters in order. In the second, however, he walked Ned Fitzgibbons and allowed Bill Barnes, Jim Gallagher, and Thayer Drake to single, sending the Harvard squad into a 3-0 lead.

The remainder of Harvard's runs came with a homer to right field by Billy Fitz, his first hit in his Varsity career, and another round-tripper by Jim Gallagher after Bill Barnes had tripled.

Edwards Improves

Edwards, scoreless until the bottom of the sixth, came up strong for their last Jicks. The first batter reached first on Bart Harvey's error, the next singled and both advanced on a passed ball. Fourth man up popped to Gallagher, but the next walked, filling the bases.

A short hit into right field then scored three runs and another walk from Phelan loaded the sacks again. A ground out to Harvey made it two down, but sent home the fifth Edwards' tally. Then, after the pitcher walked, the next batter singled to left, scoring two more runs and pocketing the ball game.

This afternoon the Varsity will meet Brown on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock in its first intercollegiate match of the summer session. Warren Berg is expected to pitch for the home forces.