Females Fill Halls, Steps, Lawns or Yard, But Who Are They, Anyway?

Summer School Girls Had Planned to Work, Say They

By Maud Eckert

Deep within the now-forbidden interior of Grays, Wigglesworth, Weld, lies the domain of that mysterious entity, that unknown creature who has blithely and with such calm self-assurance taken her place as part of the College.

In billowing frocks she graces the lawn, and crowds gather about her doorstep at dusk. Who is she? How do you get to know her? What did she come here for, anyway? How does she spend her time, where does she eat, what does she do for recreation and exercise?

Easy to Know

Meeting her is easy: it can be managed conventionally at one of the parties or dances, or through a conversation struck up in class; or she may be "a friend" of the girl your roommate takes out; and many a friendship has blossomed on the doorsteps of her hall.

The "Hey, Alice" approach, however, is by far the riskiest, the "Alice" who responds will inevitably turn out to be that eager-looking individual you saw yesterday, the one who occupted the two seats across from you on the trolley.

She is most apt, upon inquiry, to turn out to be an undergraduate at an Eastern college, either trying to accelerate or taking extra courses for credit. She's interested in her work; otherwise she wouldn't be here; but she can't help regarding this as a sort of vacation. It's certainly like no other school term she's ever experienced! Nevertheless, she discovered the first week that she'd have to keep on her toos; Harvard professors mean business!

If you ask what she does with herself she won't be able to tell you, except that there's almost too much to do; she has all too little time left for studies. While part of her afternoon is spent in Widener, the shady atmosphere of the Yard is a sore temptation on sultry days.

Athletic, Too

She plays tennis occasionally and joins in the mixed swimming down at the pool; Monday and Thursday evenings she probably sings in the chorus; she sometimes goes sailing down at M. I. T., or to dinner at one of the Houses or Graduate School dorms; and she goes on shopping trips into Boston and on weekend Jaunis to the beach. There are casual dates in the evenings, and more formal ones, as well as dances, on weekends.

Where to Eat

Since the Navy's appropriation of the Union, she has virtually been driven from pillar to post. Eating is her greatest problem. Fastidious tastes, she found, must be sacrificed if her wallet is not thickly interlined