HLU Requests Lower Draft

Lilly Selected to Head New Officers

The Harvard Liberal Union last night advocated the immediate lowering of the draft age to 18, in a meeting which also featured the election of a new executive council.

Believing that the 18 and 19 year olds of the nation are needed to win the war, the Union more specifically pointed out that married men with children and essential workers in defense industries are being drafted out of their jobs to fill the gap in our new 10,000,000 man army.

The resolution adopted by a 2-1 majority reads as follows: that the United States, as a leader among the nations united and fighting for democracy, must accept full partnership in peril; and that, pursuant to this resolve, the United States should at once lower the draft age to 18 years as a measure necessary to winning the war.

Newly elected Liberal Union officers were Scott Lilly '44, of Kirkland House and Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, President; Louis H. Pollak '44, of Eliot House and New York City, Vice-President; Lloyd Shapley '44, of Kirkland House and Cambridge, Secretary.

Named to executive council positions were Peter Grey '44, of Eliot House and Palisades, New York, Jack C. Levenson '43, of Kirkland House and Roxbury, Massachusetts, and David Lowenthal '44, of Eliot House and Chevy Chase, Maryland. Thomas S. Kuhn '44, of Lowell House and Peekskill, New York, was appointed an additional member, while Peter Grey was repainted Treasurer. The Executive Council will later add two additional members, one of whom will be a Freshman.