THRONGS IN YARD HAIL WILHELMINA

Queen Received by Harvard Notables

Her Majesty, Wilhelmina, Queen of The Netherlands and the first reigning sovereign to visit Harvard since King Albert of Belgium was here in 1919, was welcomed to the Yard yesterday afternoon by a crowd of close to 2000 students and townspeople.

Climaxing her tour of Boston before returning to her summer home at Lee the Queen was officially welcomed to the University by Dean Paul H. Buck at a reception in Massachusetts Hall, after which she drove around the Yard before departing. Present at the reception were several deans of graduate schools as well as three members of the Faculty of Dutch descent.

Arrives Late

Ten minutes after Queen Wilhelmina was scheduled to arrive, at 1:10 o'clock, the waiting throng heard a roar of motorcycles as the vanguard of the regal entourage rolled through Johnson Gate and pulled up in front of Harvard Hall. The Queen drove up in a large black White House limousine, followed by a carful of bodyguards.

As she stepped from her automobile, the Queen, wearing a wide-brimmed white hat, received a tremendous ovation from the audience that had gathered to welcome her.

Dutch Scholars Recaded

In his recoption remarks, Dean Buck recalled the prominence of Dutch scholars at the time of Harvard's founding, and spoke of the continued cooperation between Dutch men of learning and Harvard.

At the present time, Dean Buck said, both The Netherlands and the United States are laboring for a United Nations victory in the cause of civilization. And in the future they will both be aiming for a free world in which each nation can once again "exchange the fruits of its activity, intellectual as well as physical."

After being greeted by compatriot professors J. A. C. Fagginger Auer, Bart J. Bok, and J. Anton de Haas, Queen Wilhelmina left Massachusetts Hall, and proceeded slowly around the Yard. As the procession moved around the north end of the Yard, men of the Naval Training School, who were drawn up in hollow square formation, came to attention, facing her car as it passed.