Tournament to Begin This Afternoon For Summer School Tennis Champion

Favorite Al Everts Winner Of State Doubles Play-Off

With almost 75 men entered, the University Tennis Tournament will start today to determine the summer champion of the whole school. Al Everts, Massachusetts State doubles champ and singles semi finalist, is the current favorite, but some California darkhoreses from the graduate schools and the rest of the Varsity tennis team may give him plenty of trouble.

Tennis coach Jack Barnaby seeded four more of his Varsity players, Jim Jenkins, Hugh Hyde, Dick Sorlien, and Ted Cohn. However, since he was not familiar with the records of most of the graduate school entries, Barnaby had to trust to luck that none of the good players would be eliminated in the early rounds.

Everts State Doubles Champ

Everts and Dan Manchester of North-eastern swept through the State doubles in great style, taking the final in three tournaments at Longwood last week in straight sets from Stitt and Guibord. Gulbord had previously defeated Everts in the State singles semi-finals and gone on the take the championship.

Everts and Manchester both of whom are from Newton, have kept up their boyhood doubles combination even though they went to different colleges, and last week it was brought to a successful consummation.

Tennis Team Seeks Matches

With Everts finally in the number one spot after a tennis career marred by baseball in his Freshman year and pneumonia this spring, and with most of this spring's Varsity back the tennis team is in great shape. Only one thing is lacking, some opposition.

A match with a Worcester team headed by Sunny Lyle, a former Harvard tennis captain, was thwarted by the draft; and a contest with the Longwood team was called off because a suitable playing time could not be arranged. Next Tuesday, however, Barnaby has succeeded in scheduling a match with a reputedly dangerous team from the Business School.

Entries in the University Tournament must play off their first round matches by Sunday, Barnaby has announced. The tournament chart is posted in the Tennis and Squash Shop.