FIRST LADY CALLS POLLS TEST OF WAR SINCERITY

Education in Politics Vital to Democracy

Both the sincerity of America's war effort and of our intent to abandon isolationism will be tested by the November Congressional elections, Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt stated before approximately 100 students in Winthrop House yesterday at a closed meeting of the Harvard Council On Post-War Problems.

Results of the fall elections will clearly indicate, she said, whether or not events since the attack on Pearl Harbor have welded the nation into a determined weapon for victory. Asserting the solution to Post-War Problems to be "the practice of democracy by people with convictions," she called upon the youth of the nation to interest itself in the operation of local political machines.

Necessity for Sacrifice

Only the willing sacrifices of understanding peoples who will put aside their nationalistic policies for the "good of humankind" will make possible the realization of the ideals of the Atlantic Charter, Mrs. Roosevelt emphasized, as she suggested as the solution to one great problem, the establishment of an International Labor Office, to raise the standard of living for all peoples.

Mrs. Roosevelt's informal forum preceded a talk by Sidney B. Fay, professor of History, and Alvin H. Hansen, Littauer Professor of Political Economy, and was one of a series presented yesterday by the Council.

After her talk here Mrs. Roosevelt left for Campobello Island, New Brunswick, where she will remain this week.