175 TURN OUT FOR GUERRILLA UNIT

Program to Start August 10 Will Give Athletic Credits

More than 175 enthusiastic students showed up last night at the first organization meeting of the Harvard guerrilla unit. Alan Grant '45, instigator and director of the unit-to-be outlined the history of guerrilla warfare in a short talk and suggested what can be done at Harvard with a guerrilla unit.

The Harvard Guerrilla Unit will begin training after examinations on August 10. Although one or two evening lectures may be necessary during the summer, the group will ordinarily meet five times a week on Soldiers Field. Since Grant will devote one day a week reviewing the material covered the previous four meetings, members will have to go only four days.

Grant will teach the techniques and theories of modern guerrilla warfare. Instruction will include among other things, how a German tank works, how to make Molotov cocktails, and how to deal with sentries.

In reviewing the history of guerrilla warfare Grant mentioned three chief contributions to the science of guerrilla tactics. Lawrence of Arabia laid the foundations for modern guerrilla technique and theory by demonstrating that a small force could wage a war of attrition on a superior force by keeping the enemy diversified and under constant attack. General Mikhaile....h has proved that guerrillas can also deal a simultaneous knockout blow, while the Chinese have developed fine intelligence techniques.