GERMAN SCIENTIST DISCOVERS FIRE RESISTANT LIQUID HERE

Secret Formula to Protect House and Plant from Fire

A potent new fire-resistant chemical has been invented at the Mallinckrodt Laboratories, Harvard University announced yesterday. The chemical will be of tremendous importance to our fighting forces and the government is considering large-scale purchases, according to the latest reports.

The chemical, invented by Walter Juda under the direction of Grinnel Jones, professor of Chemistry, is known as "F. A. M." Juda, a German-born chemist and refugee from Hitlerism, has been working since the beginning of the war on this liquid.

Keeps Wood From Burning

The fluid is applied to wood by spraying or painting and is not merely a surface protection, for it seeps so completely into the wood that it makes it almost as hard to burn as steel. It will be very important in protecting ships, hangars, factories, and other dwellings from fire.

If the chemical is made available for civilian use, it will be very important in protecting wooden buildings from the danger of fire by incendiary bombs, as recent tests of the chemical have proved.

According to tests made on the fluid, it will neither harm the strength or structure of the wood, while it prevents fungi, takes a coat of paint readily, and has many other distinct advantages over all other kinds which have been invented to date. In tests made with incendiary bombs, the wood remained intact while untreated wood was completely destroyed in a few minutes.