Our Unsung Heroes

Our fair university is fortunate in having among its members one who has retained his beliefs in business as usual at all costs. He has courageously abstained from purchasing war stamps or bonds, realizing that such action would be aiding the war effort. He has even been courageous enough to write his beliefs in the form of a petition, which he posted on his House bulletin board. His name is unknown, since through thoughtfulness, he neglected to attach his signature to the petition, which ran as follows:

"Where the hell does the war stamp committee get off asking me to lend the government twenty-five cents a week? I've got troubles enough of my own. Besides, I didn't want war and since they got us into it, let Roosevelt worry about raising the money."

This thoughtfully prepared and well written statement should provoke serious thought on the part of Harvard students. The truth of the statements made are apparent. "They" did get us into it--and, for one "with troubles of my own," a quarter a week is a lot of money. Before plunging into decisions to sign a twenty-five cent a week pledge, students should reflect carefully. If their conclusions are that any money they lend the government will aid in prosecuting the war, that Roosevelt should shoulder all the burden, and that their own troubles come first--then let them think carefully before giving monetary aid to their country. They should be applauded for their courage to stand up for their own rights. They will probably still be doing so when the Japs land at San Francisco and the Nazis are crossing the Ohio.