War Forces Red Book Abandonment; House Chairmen Okay Dance Committee

First Edition Will Have Names, Photos

Aiming at greater economy for Freshmen, and hard pressed by acceleration and mounting war costs, the traditional June Red Book has been abandoned in favor of a modified version scheduled to come out in early November, it was announced in a Student Council meeting Wednesday night. Simultaneously it was revealed that Freshman affairs will not be included in this year's joint Junior-Senior Album.

The Album will still appeal to the College as a whole, but the special Freshman section will be left out. Under the accelerated program there will not be very many purely first year activities to write up, and the saving to the Class of '46 will be considerable. Advertising for the Album and the new-type Red Book will still be handed jointly, however, and both will benefit from the large staff and circulation.

Who's Who

Prerequisite for every Freshman class has been a book containing the names and pictures of its members, and it is to fill this need that the fall Red Book is being planned. Since Freshman activities are becoming more and more scare, a June issue would almost duplicate the November edition.

Under present war conditions, more over, the cost of printing a large June Red Book, in the neighborhood of $3400, would be unjustifiable, especially with lead and paper shortages. The total price for the book will be $2.50 and Freshmen who signed up at registration for a Register or a combination Register Album subscription will have their accounts adjusted accordingly.

May Contain Activities

It is possible that in addition to pictures and names the fall Red Book may contain a few of the more important summer activities, and will have a permanent binding instead of the paper one usually reserved for Registers.

Greatest advantage of the new plan for a fall Red Book will be considerable savings for the Class of 1946.