HYGIENE DEPT. URGES MEN TO TAKE TOXOID

Old Anti-tetanus Treatment Is Dangerous for Allergics

Standard tetanus anti-toxin treatment such as might be given in mass quantities to air raid casualties, would be extremely dangerous to the 40 per cent of the student body who suffer from slight or serious allergies, the Hygiene Department stated, as it advised such people to take advantage of a newly developed tetanus toxoid serum.

People who have inherited hay fever or asthma, who have taken pneumonia serum, or who have suffered previously from the old tetanus anti-toxin, may become gravely ill if given a fresh dose, and anyone who has had the treatment less than five years ago is also liable to a reaction.

Used by Armed Forces

The new three dose preliminary treatment has four week intervals between doses, and is already compulsory in the armed forces. The old treatment was only administered after the wound was received, but the new toxoid is given to build up a slight immunity and then another injection at the time of the accident insures security. Unlike the tetanus anti-toxin the new toxoid can be repeated almost immediately if the need arises.

Although the treatment is free, there is a charge of about $1.50 for the serum.