TSE Discarded Without Drop in Student Financial Aid; College Asks U. S. Loans for Science Concentrators

$500 May Be Borrowed, Repaid by U. S. Job

Harvard is applying for funds under the new government student loan plan, University officials announced last night. Designed especially to aid needy science concentrators to complete their training, the scheme was announced recently by the administration.

Under the plan, a student can borrow up to $500 a year from the United States government, with the University acting as the middle-man. At present, the loans are only available for concentrators in physics, chemistry, or engineering science. Upon graduation, students who have accepted these loans will be required to take jobs with the government, some in the armed forces and some in civilian life, where the administration feels that they will be most valuable. Out of their salaries from the government, they will then pay back the principal of the loan, plus 2 1/2% interest.

Amount to Be Requested Not Known

University officials are now filling out the forms which the government demands, and so have not as yet reached a decision as to how much money they will request.

The application of the University is in accord with President Conant's call for government scholarships, and should aid in achieving his goals of the democratization of American education.

Over a year ago, the University applied for NYA funds, partly as the result of student pressure to aid men in getting through college. The government has since cut down the NYA allottments, and it is hoped that these new government loans will help compensate for the drop.