More Undergrads Attend Session 2

Summer School Ranks Less Now Than in First Session

After tedious hours at the adding machine the Summer School Office has classified and enumerated the students of the second session and reports that attendance has dropped from 4196 during the first session to 3342. Figures show that the female population alone accounts for a drop of 500 students.

These departures bring the total enrollment far down in the direction of the peace-time attendance of about 2000. However, this does nothing to help congestion in the Houses, for the Yard, with the exception of Wigglesworth, is now completely filled with Army and Navy students. While most figures have been falling for the second session, the number of undergraduates has increased from 2479 to 2537.

Number of Girls Decreased

In spite of the increased number of undergraduates here for the second session, girls, whose voices filled the Yard during the first session, have dwindled in number. Although there were 979 girls here for the first session, about the normal number of Summer School, only 389 have remained for the second session.

Those who bewail the absence of their skirted companions need only think that in former years there was only one summer term during which they were present, and that in the winter there will be no girls at Harvard at all.

A miscellaneous classification know as "others" accounted for the largest drop experienced in any group, while undergraduates and graduate students from Harvard, Radcliffe, and other colleges and universities accounted for another considerable decline.