AMERICA WILL NEED TRAINED CHEMISTS

Because research carried on since the First World War has made protection against poison gases so effective, neither side in the present war has considered the use of gas worth while, according to Grinnell Jones, professor of Chemistry. Industry, not the Army and Navy, has never had a greater demand and need for trained chemists than it has today, Jones said.

After the progress during the First World War in the development of gas masks and of poison gases, experts thoroughly believed that the next great world conflict would be chiefly gas warfare. Research which has been carried on since then, however, has not only further developed the effectiveness of the various gases but has also perfected protective devices to such a fine point that neither side in the present war has considered the use of gas as worth while, Jones said.

Aviation Important Factor

Also the tremendous importance of aviation today, in addition to the vital dependence of modern armed forces on rapid communications and engineering, has made the demand for well-trained physicists extremely urgent.

Economically speaking, the field of chemistry is very profitable. Not one of last year's graduates in chemistry had any trouble in getting work either in research or actual production.

Deferment has been granted to a majority of the graduates, in particular to those who are doing work on synthetics, explosives, or gasoline--investigations especially vital to the war effort. Munitions and explosives take up a large number of men, while the rubber situation has also created an acute shortage of specialists. Plastics and synthetic fiber, much developed during the last decade, are assuming more and more importance in the aeroplane industry.