Pledge Drive Wins Support of Only Fraction of Student Body

Final Totals Disappointingly Low as Week-long Intensive Drive Finishes

Thirty-five per cent of the undergraduates of the College have signed pledges for War Bonds and Stamps, it was announced last night as final results of last week's concentrated drive were tabulated. Roughly $390 was pledged in the drive, $610 short of the expected goal, and a total of $491 worth of bonds and stamps were sold in the dining halls.

Although the War Service Committee, sponsor of the drive, declined to call the drive as a whole a failure, it pointed out that the figures would speak for themselves as far as Harvard's all-out effort was concerned. Also, it was announced, that because Dunster, Kirkland, Eliot and Winthrop have been handicapped by a shortage of canvassers, the pledge drive will continue in these Houses during this week. Pledges will still be available in all Houses at the stamp and bond table, on the regular sales day.

Lowell Still In Lead

Lowell retains its long lead over the other Houses in the amount pledged and collected last week, with total sales there amounting to $129 and pledges to $85. Winthrop rose from near the bottom in the middle of last week to vie with Adams and Leverett for second place in the amount pledged, and in the total amount sold for the week Winthrop was about $10 ahead.

Kirkland with $47 pledged by 89 members of the House and $39 sold in bonds and stamps this week, was in next place. Eliot, despite the 120 members of the House who signed pledges, only had a total of $45 pledged, and the $35 worth of bonds and stamps sold last week fell $10 short of the amount promised. Dunster had only 35 men signed up, by far the smallest number of any of the Houses, and only $30 was pledged, and $38 collected.

Dudley to Be Canvassed

Beginning tomorrow Dudley will be canvassed in an effort to raise the disappointing totals for the Harvard drive. Tomorrow will also be the regular sale day for stamps and bonds in Dunster, Kirkland, and Lowell. On Thursday tables will be open in Adams, Eliot, Leverett, and Winthrop.

When compared with previous weeks when stamps and bonds have been on sale only once a week, the totals for the drive indicate only a rise of $100. The total number of students pledged and the amounts promised, as compared to drives in other colleges, show that where Harvard pledged hundreds, other colleges pledged thousands.