Kirkland Declared Winner Of Summer Sports Program

House Football Will Head Fall Schedule

By Melvin J. Kessel

Kirkland House, winner of the Strauss Trophy for the past two years, maintained its supremacy in inter-House athletics during the summer session, announced Adolph Samborski '26, director of House athletics, yesterday.

Figuring the standings of the Houses on the same system used in calculating the winner of the Strauss Trophy, which is given to the winner of the inter-House sports program during the regular year, Samborski found that Kirkland had a substantial margin of 37 1/2 points over its nearest rival, Leverett.

Summer Won't Count for Trophy

The summer program, however, will not count towards the trophy, although Samborski feels that it may in future years, since the summer sessions promise to become an integral part of the college.

Upperclass softball, in which a double round-robbin was played, and baseball counted as major sports with an award of 100 points to the winner; while Freshman softball, volleyball, and tennis were considered minor sports with 80 points for first. The winner of the special inter-House relay carnival, Lowell House, received 35 points.

Deacons First in Volleyball

Kirkland scored a clean first only in volleyball and tied for the top spot in tennis with Eliot. It was their consistently strong showing in all the different leagues that enabled the Deacons to end up in first place again.

Leverett triumphed in the baseball league, winning 6 and losing only one game. Kirkland and Winthrop tied for second. In upperclass softball Lowell was the victor with a record of 10 and 2, Dunster being the only team to come fairly close to the Bellboys.

Touch Football to Continue

The touch football league, which was started very late in the season and hindered by bad weather, was not counted in the reckonings, although Leverett was the only undefeated team, winning three contests. In the fall the league will be resumed but disregarding the summer records.

Samborski has a full schedule of sports ready for the return of students in the fall. Tackle football games between the Houses headline the program, although there will be at least three weeks of training prior to the actual games.

Also planned are tennis tournaments in each of the Houses, cross country races, possibly another relay carnival which was so successful this summer, inter-House soccer if field space can be found, and touch football.

The final standings of the Houses in total points follow: Kirkland  332 1/2 Leverett  295 Lowell  282 1/2 Winthrop  270 Eliot  197 1/2 Adams  172 1/2 Dunster  172 1/2 Dudley  112 1/2