TENNIS TITLE WON BY FORMER HOLDER

Everts is Victorious In Tourney Finals

By Melvin J. Kessel

Al Everts, top man on the Varsity tennis team and Massachusetts State doubles champion, yesterday regained the title he won in 1940 when only a Freshman by defeating in straight sets Dr. John T. Dunlop, instructor in Economics, in the finals of the University Tennis Tournament.

With all the shots in his bag under complete control and with great accuracy on his corner and down-the-line shots, Everts was ahead all the way, winning 6-1, 6-4. Dunlop kept things even in the second set until three all, but then Everts went on to take the next two games with beautiful drop shots and sharply angled placements at the net.

Weather Very Warm

The match was played at the Varsity Divinity courts under a very warm sun that made the players complain of the difficulty of gripping sweet-soaked racquets. Not many spectators watched the finals, probably in large part because the time of the match could not be announced-beforehand.

Dunlop fought hard all the way but the Newton player had too much power and accuracy for him, taking the not often on excellent foreing shots and then putting the returns away.

Dunlop Put Out Hyde

In the earlier rounds of the tournament Dunlop accounted for Hugh Hyde, number three Varsity player, Lin Burton, number six on last spring's team, and John Zinsser, who was top man in most of the '45 squad's matches.

Everts failed to drop one set in the whole tournament, the closest he came being an 8-6 set with Freshman Mal Moley in the semi-finals. He also eliminated Houston Warren, another '46 player, and Ted Cohn of the Varsity.