Glee Club Opens Ranks to Class of '46

Officers of the Harvard Glee Club, famed all over the country, have issued a call for members of the Class of 1946, who enjoy good music to come out and sing. Because of the accelerated program and graduation, the Club has lost many of its veterans, and will rely on the entering class to fill its thinning ranks.

The Glee Club is known wherever choral singing is of interest, and there are thousands upon thousands of people who have enjoyed their varied programs and powerful, clear voices. In fact, Serge Koussevitzky, conductor of the world-famous Boston Symphony Orchestra, has declared that they are the best such group he has heard.

Trials October 1 and 2

But it doesn't take a Caruso to be a member of the club. If you like to sing, even if you are uncertain as to whether you should be among the bases or the tenors, or both, the officers of the Glee Club urge you to come to the Entrance Trials on October 1 and 2 in Sever 11. The first rehearsal will be on Monday, October 5.

Conducted by G. Wallace Woodworth associate professor of Music, there are usually about 250 men in the group. Of these, the 60 best are chosen for some concerts; for others, any man who has attended regularly in on the list.

Concert With Symphony

Each year the club offers a spring trip which is taken during the March vacation, but there has been no announcements as to whether transportation difficulties will put the ban on the tour this season. At any rate, the annual concert in Boston Symphony Hall with the Symphony Orchestra and Radcliffe will be held, and at present the schedule calls for programs with Wellesley, Smith, Bradford Junior College, Pembroke, Yale, Sarah Lawrence, and others.

The Club has an illustrious history. They have sung with five Symphony Orchestras--the Philadelphia, Chicago, Rochester, Civic, and Cleveland organizations. In 1921 the Club made a European tour.