Labor Fellow Praises Plan, Asks Extension

15 Union Leaders To Study Problems Here

Hatmaker, labor leader, and beneficiary of Harvard's newest fellowship program, Edward Wagenfeld last night described the Trade Union Plan as "one of the greatest things that has happened to labor," but emphasized that the program would prove even more effective in furthering harmony in American industry if management could be subjected to equivalent training.

Under the plan, which Wagenfeld frankly admitted was an experiment, 15 representatives of trade unions will spend the next nine months at the University, studying economic analysis, trade union policies, and "human problems of administration." They will in addition be allowed to study individually in any field in which they have special interest.

Sacrifices Necessary

Perhaps the best testimonial as to the value of the program, Wagenfeld felt, was the sacrifice which each participant has had to make in order to take the course. In his own case, he was forced to give up his job in the hatting industry, temporarily leave his position as secretary of the hatters' union, and break up his family, and he remarked that almost every member of the program has had to make a similar effort.

The purpose of taking the course, from Wagenfeld's point of view, is "to absorb as much knowledge as we possibly can," on the theory that to acquire an understanding of industrial problems is to win half the battle for industrial peace.

"Labor unions today, at least the progressive ones, realize that it is to their own advantage to keep their industries profitable," he said, adding that one of the purposes of the course was to give practical instruction in attaining this goal.

The program, he nevertheless insisted, should not be one-sided. "If business could send its representatives to study and plan together with the representatives of labor, there would be real accomplishment," he said.

Wagenfeld did not minimize, however, the results that could be expected from the present program. "Of course we can't expect to see any effects right away," he remarked, at the same time reiterating his belief that the program was a long step in the direction of labor stability.

Originally suggested by representatives of the unions, the program is the result of months of planning and in general follows the pattern established by the Nieman Fellowships. The unions are collaborating with the University in its administration.