EVERY BUSINESS SCHOOL STUDENT HAS WAR ROLE

Dean Fraser Cites Value of QM Corps

Sketching the important part in Harvard's war effort that is being played by the Business School. Assistant Dean Cecil E. Fraser pointed out yesterday that the members of the Supply Units and the Quartermaster Corps see as much live action as any other branch of the service.

He declared that 48 men who were graduated from the Navy Supply Corps at the Business School have been killed in action in the war. Because they do not just work on their assigned tasks, but act as decoders and even man gun stations, they are in as dangerous a position as members of any other branch of the service.

Every Man Trains For War

Not one student is taking courses at the School preparing himself for civilian pursuits. "The emphasis is on men who are physically fit going into the armed services while those unable to meet physical standards must go in war production. Before being admitted to the Business School each student must sign the following pledge: "I agree, if I am admitted to the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration and am offered an opportunity to apply for a commission in the armed services through the school, to make such application, and to accept such a commission if it is offered; otherwise I will accept a position in a war industry of allied work."

True of 1A

This rule applies to the Industrial Administration course as well as to the other divisions of the School. A 12-month course, "leading to the degree of Industrial Administrator, which includes solely those courses which would be of value to a man going into the supply services or War production" has been set up, said Fraser.

According to the latest figures, 850 out of 927 students who are now enrolled in the Business School are in uniform. In addition to these, there are the 545 students of the Naval Supply School and the enlisted men of the Army Air Force Statistical School.

Enlisted Men To Be Commissioned

This group of enlisted men, sent here by the Air Force, will be instructed in the special statistical courses and receive commissions when their studies have been completed. Most of them will then be sent overseas.

The calling of many men into service, who, until now, have been deferred will not effect the Business School very much, according to Fraser's statement. "Because of the importance of the training and the fact that are going into service, a great majority of the men have been allowed to complete their courses," he adds.

Could Be Called in Crisis

Fraser continued by stating that, "Barring major catastrophe, which would mean calling men to war duty at an earlier date, in all probability these men will be allowed to finish."