"Sun" Says Harvard Men Not Joe College

Field Magazine Describes Life of Typical Student Here

Even Marshall Field admits that Harvard isn't Joe College any more. Or at least that is the main idea of "Farewell to Harvard", a pictorial essay on the "recollections of a student about to go to war" recently published in The Chicago Sun's weekly supplement "Parade".

Picked to impersonate John Harvard was Robert G. Axtell '43, who is featured prominently on the cover and monopolized the five pages immediately proceeding a domestic bit on "Baby Graves has a visitor."

In an effort to show "what the prewar Harvard was like", he has been photographed waiting outside the Freshman Dean's Office to "see about the examination he had flunked," carrying University chairs to his room in Lowell House at the beginning of his Sophomore year, sleeping in the House library, and drinking tea with the Bell-boy's Housemaster, Elliot Perkins '23.

In contrast, the article points out that "the typical, beer-jacketed, easy going student has left for the barracks or battleships. This year's Senior Class will probably be the last able to look back upon four full years at Harvard. But it has a wealth of memories...of a Harvard that will be no more."