HANFORD SAYS PETITIONS TO LEAVE NEEDED

Students to Turn in Cards, Pay Bills Before Leaving

Students withdrawing from College must file a petition with the Administrative Board either for a leave of absence or for permission to withdraw, University Hall recently announced. The petition should contain a statement of the reason for withdrawal and must be accompanied, if the student is a minor, by a written statement from a parent signifying his approval.

Bursar's cards and House dining hall cards must be turned in and all bills must be promptly paid, the announcement said. Students will be charged for tuition to the end of the period in which their withdrawal has taken place, but only a "fair proportion" of room rent will be charged.

At the same time as the announcement, Dean Hanford further emphasized that undergraduates should remain in College as long as possible and recalled a statement that President Lowell made to the students in 1917.

In a speech on studies in wartime, President Lowell said, "Until the age or the opportunity of rendering real military or other service arrives, the duty of the boy or young man is to train himself to clear thought, to steady application, and to persistent purpose. The college course is designed to furnish these things; and the only difference in the feeling that a younger man should have about college in these days is a stronger determination to make the most of the opportunities it affords, to take his studies at school or college more seriously.