SHORTAGES IN MANPOWER AND TIME TO HIT CIVILIAN HOUSES

Reassignments and Moving Aggravate Depleted Staff

Manpower shortages and short vacation periods appear to the masters of Harvard's three civilian Houses as powerful glasses to magnify the peacetime problems of end-term moving and finding places for the new Freshmen.

Housemasters and House Secretaries in all three Houses have discouraged all moving and practically banned inter-entry moving so as to make the problems less complicated. Lowell House and Adams House have already assigned room changes for the coming trimester, ending a week of feverish work since the requests went in.

Janitor's office in all Houses are desperately understaffed, making the moving problem one of local college ingenuity rather than general grammer school brawn. it require two to four men to move a good-sized, well-stocked sophomore within an hour, and when five or six men want to move in one day, it over-works today's janitor staff.

Before any of this, however, decisions had to be made as to where any specified individual was to spend the new term. Over 60 requests for transfers came in to the House Secretaries, and the work, of transferring and checking had to be done in one week instead of the usual four.