THE HARVARD SCUTTLEBUTT

Naval Training School (Communications)

Featuring skits by each platoon, company D held its first in a series of monthly smokers on June 24. The event, which was held in the Hasty Pudding club, unearthed a surprising amount of talent.

Platoon six came forth with an acapella choir to sing some original songs by Richard Roban and cop first place among the eight skits. Competition was so close for the first prize award of being first to chow for a week that the company morale officer, Lieutenant Herbert Fields, who acted as judge, was unable to decide among the offerings of the sixth, fifth, and seventh platoons. A poll of the entire company the following morning, however, decided in favor of the "Singing Sixth."

Gilbert MacDonald of platoon five nearly succeeded in single-handedly stealing the evening's honors for his platoon with an original satire on radio wave propagation. Platoon six's "The Harlem Revolts" or "The Shiek Shirks" was reminiscent of Harvard's Hasty Pudding productions, as muscular males cavorted about as scantily clad harem beauties.

Other productions on the evening's program were "The Reverend's Advice," staged by the third platoon and featuring H. L. "Happy" Graves who literally took the shirt of of W. B. Brown's and Fred Hanle's backs; "A Sober Day at Harvard", a satire given by the second platoon; "They'll Bear Watching", offered by platoon eight; two skits, "Old and New Watch" and "Hitler's Speech on the Harvard Communications school", presented by platoon one.