Specialists' Corner

By Frank K. Kelly

When Richard Walte, professor in the Work, Fatigue and Efficiency class, asked the psychology students of Co. A whether they'd like a party some Saturday night, the class sat in stunned silence for a few moments before roaring "Yes."

"I'll furnish coffee and sandwiches," said Mr. Walte. "And, oh yes, there'll be plenty of girls on the sunny side of 25 for those of you who aren't married. Is anybody interested?"

He'll never have to ask another rhetorical question like that.

***

Portrait of a first-class Pfc.--Melvin Finger, who has finally returned to the comfortable obscurity of the Second Platoon, after more than two months in various positions of responsibility in Company A.

Finger has a unique record as the only Pfc. thus far to hold the posts of squad leader, platoon guide, platoon sergeant, platoon commander, first sergeant, executive officer, and company commander--from the bottom right through to the top. He began his unusual tour of duty July 11, and was busy all the time, relinquishing the insignia of command on September 29.

His tenure as company commander was the longest of any man's thus far--August 32 to September 19. Finger saw the company off on its furlough, and was held over during the reorganization period when the company returned.

Many Firsts

He helped in setting up the psychology library, made the double-clock roll call a familiar part of ASTP routine, and led the company through its first practices drill for the big review September 29.

Finger has been in the army nine months. Before entering the army's college program, he was a personnel clerk at the 87th General Hospital at Fort Devens.

Mel is a remarkable guy in more ways than one--he is remarkable for himself and remarkable for his relatives. His sister recently married his father-in-law, so that makes her his mother-in-law and his father-in-law is his brother-in-law. His wife is his sister's daughter now-is other words, his wife is his niece.