THE HARVARD SCUTTLEBUTT

Naval Training School (Communications)

Conditioning

A rugged three-point physical fitness program to prepare Naval Officers for the rigors of battle and the hardships of submersion commenced this week at the Harvard gymnasium under the direction of the NTS (Communications) Regimental Officer, Lt. j.g.) A. X. O'Connor.

"We feel that the officers now undergoing training in communications should know how to handle themselves," Lt. O'Connor said, in announcing the program.

In immediate charge of the exercises, which will stress individual performance with small groups participating, is Lt. (j.g.) C. E. Witham, athletic officer of the regimental staff. He will be assisted by Ens. P. F. Flaherty and Chiefs Bridgeman and MacPhee, who have recently been added to the NTS staff.

Beginning on Monday, Companies B and C started on a program which includes boxing, judo, and war aquatics. In addition, the men will be permitted to enjoy a certain amount of organized indoor sports activity. No more than two platoons will be engaged in any one activity at one time, while stress will be on practical exercises and tested methods.

Reorganization

Reorganization of the NTS (Communications) study-program has been made in order to turn out a larger number of communications specialists in a shorter period of time for duty afloat and at foreign bases.

Beginning with the present Company E--Class 9-43--the basic communications course is being reduced to three months instead of the usual four-month-program now in effect.

The content of the courses and the amount of studying required is not reduced, however. In order to compensate for the shorter period for time men from Company E have started attending evening classes which will continue until their graduation.

The last month, which is devoted to specialization in five categories of communications for those men who are not detached at the end of the basic program, will be continued as heretofore. For the bulk of the men, therefore, Company E's program will run for a total of four months.

Class 8-43, Company D; Class 7-43, Company C; and Class 6-43, Company B, will continue on their normal schedule.

Promotions

Five changes and promotions on the Staff of NTS (Communications) have been announced by Lieut. Commander M. Eli Paradise, USNR, Officer-in-Charge.

Lieut Commander H. A. Tummonds, USNR, who has served on the staff for several months in the capacity of First Lieutenant, has been detached to another activity for duty. He has been replaced by Lt. (j.g.) A. E. Kenison, Jr., who was formerly his assistant.

Personnel Officer of NTS to replace Lt.

Lt. (j.g.) E. A. Juhl has been named G. F. Welker, who has been detached for sea duty. Lt. Juhl has been on the staff since June, also in an assisting capacity.

Lts. (j.g.) R. LeLvitt and E. O. Elemer, members of the teaching staff, have been promoted to the rank of lieutenant senior grade, effective October 1.

Watches

Sweeping changes in the watch bill organization for officers under instruction and staff members of NTS (Communications) have been put into effect and were made known today by Lt. (j.g.) H. H. Hansen, Aide to the Executive Officer.

During each 24-hour period, a total of about 60 men will now stand watches for all companies from B to E as compared with a former watch bill requiring approximately 105 men for the same length of time.

This has been effected, Lt. Hansen explained, by assigning only one guard per building during a watch period, where the number used to run as high as four, depending upon the number of entries. The doors which are not guarded by watches will remain locked day and night except during the periods when students return from classes and are on leave.

The new system permits men to stand a minimum of watches, as low as two watches per month at NTS, and allows those men attending night classes to have a maximum amount of time for studies.

The watch bill is virtually unchanged for Company B which still maintains guard at the Duty Office, the Harvard Yard Watch Office, Harvard Union and Littauer.