FACULTY PROFILE

Henry Lamar can't see himself as a Varsity football coach. "I'm still an assistant," he says, "filling in for the loss. Dick Harlow, until he comes house." And then the softspoken, well-liked "assistant" goes on about his business of "assisting" by whipping together a bunch of green youngsters into a tough, precision eleven representative of the Crimson.

It's no easy job to understand the Harlow system, let alone teach it, But the former Freshman and Jayvee coach proceeded to teach it to two of his new but experienced helpers, who couldn't believe it when they saw it on paper, and then went ahead to make a gang of first-year men and now men feel at home in a few weeks, but that the system ordinarily takes three years to put across.

Devoted to the man whose assistant he still believes himself to be, Lamar used to counsel Harlow against working too hard. He never dreamed then of assuming the job of head mentor, or that he himself would plan this year to take a weekend off after the season is over and then start worrying about next year's team.

Henry showed his devotion to Harlow by his actions on the double shift controversy. Worried about Dick's being called "crooked" be some sports-writers and fans, the good-natured Southerner showed that the formation actually aids a play by warning Tufts before using it against them last Saturday.

Marso Henry hails from Washington, D. C., Virginia, and the University of Virginia where he played end, tackle, and fullback (not all at once, though some people say he works hard enough to do it), swam free-style, and boxed. Boxing, not football, is the reason for Lamar's coming to Harvard.

Following the professional pugilistic trail after his graduation in 1928, the hard-working Henry was summoned here in '31. Since then he has taught Varsity boxing during the winter, while working his way up in football in the fall.

Strictly a family man with a wife and two baby daughters, Lamar spends his spare time fooling around with a hobby he learned from Harlow, that of interest in plant life. At the moment, a Christmas rose, which he swears will bloom in the snow, occupies some of that precious time which he doesn't spend one the football practice field.